Wednesday, April 8, 2015

"The hiking was steep and strenuous, but the living was easy." -Dan White (author of The Cactus Eaters) on the PCT
I'm hitting the old, dusty trail a day later than planned. It took me longer than anticipated to get my place all cleaned out, my gear all together, and my goodbyes all said before I left. I'm in central California currently and am leaving this morning to drive down to Campo (the Southern Terminus of the PCT). I had a huge meal at Olive Garden last night and I'm feeling super gross--like I've consumed all the carbs and fats my body can possibly handle--so I'm officially ready for a long hike.

We manged to leave Siskiyou county less than twenty-four hours before snow hit. What are the chances? The only real snow that fell "this season" (though the season has really passed) and I wasn't even there to see it. And soon I'll be living day after day in the hot, dry desert. I'm using a track phone for communication now, so I don't have a data package. Thus I'll only be able to update this blog when in towns where Wi-Fi is available. Hopefully by the next time I post on here I'll have logged 100 miles or more.

Here I go...

3 comments:

  1. Wishing you good weather and cool springs. I'm 3 chapters into Cactus Eaters and love'n it! Really looking forward to these posts so I can experience your adventure. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck out there, I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, chapter 12 takes place in Kelcy's Restaurant in Tehachapi! That's where I took you and Katherine. Did you realize that and just want me to be surprised? So frick'n cool!

    I know you're journaling and may not have Wifi for a while but I want to subtly encourage you to give us everything ... every word. Interesting writers are honest and unfiltered. We will never get to see and experience this for ourselves. I can't wait to read your words. You rock!

    ReplyDelete